Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Meet Bronte D'Acquisto - She's Ready to Tackle Tough Equations This Summer. With a Calculator, That is. #BB18


Meet Bronte D'Aquisto, who is a 26-year-old student from San Diego California.  Bronte lives in Denver now, though, and says she is a student.  I always try to avoid looking at what people are saying about the house guests until I watch their videos myself.  I like to make my own impressions of people before I start hearing what everyone else has to say.

But I was seeing quite a bit of buzz about Bronte yesterday on Twitter---her voice, her banter with Jeff, etc. and I was not disappointed.


Bronte's energy is electric in this interview with Jeff.  Jeff says she's just bursting to get started.

Bronte waves at us and tells us she's from "sunny San Diego" and she's working to be a mathematician ---that's her dream.

(I had to try to spell that word THREE times before I got it right!)

Jeff immediately asks her what "9 times 9" is, and we run into a problem, because Bronte says it is 89.  Even Big Jeff thinks she's a few digits off there, so there's that.

But Bronte says she's bad at doing math in her head, and uses her hands to come up with the correct answer.  (Never mind that Jeff just told her "I think it's 81.")


So the voice is a little ditzy, but not as bad as I expected it to be.  I think she's being genuine and that's her real voice, but who knows, really.  It's kind of a little girl voice, so I immediately think of what Adam and Dr. Drew would say about it if this was an old Loveline episode, rather than a sit-down with Big Jeff.

But we're not here to discuss stuff like that.  Maybe we can chat about that when the live feeds start, as we see how Bronte gets along on a day-to-day basis.


Bronte is still explaining how she came up with the wrong answer to that question that we all learned way back in the 3rd grade. (With flashcards, right?)

Bronte:  My visual impairment skills are below average, to do anything in my head.  I need a pen, paper and a calculator.

Jeff agrees and says it usually takes him a little longer, too, but he usually comes up with the right number in the end.

I was kind of hoping Jeff would pull out a calculator and ask another hard question, like what is 8 times 6, but he didn't.  And I don't think Bronte got the first part of her response right, but we all know what she means.  (She either means that her visual skills are below average, or that she has high visual impairment, but not both in the same sentence.)


Bronte:  I can solve an integral like nobody's business, though.


It's not just you....Bronte lost me there, too.

Yeah, well....I'm still lost.  It's funny, because when I tell people that I'm a CPA, it is common for them to say they could never do what I do, because they are not very good at math.  Hopefully this is a good example for all us, so we know that math has nothing to do with accounting.  I don't even know if I could read this aloud, much less understand it.

(To be honest, I had never heard of an "integral", and the mean part of me was hoping that Bronte really meant to say "integer" instead, so I could make fun of her.  So the joke is on me, I guess.  I'm the dumbass in this particular equation.)


Bronte can't believe this is happening.  She's so excited to be in the Diary Room, and she loves the new chair.

Bronte: I love pink velvet!

(Do you think they needed to get a new chair after Austin last year?  Because Da'Vonne was very vocal after her eviction about how filthy his shorts were, and she only experienced Austin's filth for a very short time.)


Jeff:  Are you a fan of da show?

Bronte:  Yeah!  I haven't seen a lot of seasons, but I saw 16 and half of season 17.

Jeff:  So, a new fan...which is great.

(OK.  I'm guessing that Robyn Kass had a little chat with all of the recruits before Media Day, a little pep talk to help them out.  Maybe she told them not to say they are a Super Fan if all they did is watch BB in sequester, because it makes the fans livid.  Yes, I'm looking at you Clay Honeycutt.)

I'll let Jason respond to that one.

And do you think Clay walked away from the BB experience rich with friendships and gratitude for the journey?


Bronte is single, but it doesn't sound like she's ready to mingle.

Bronte:  I know flirting happens in the house, but I'm a numbers girl, and statistically, a showmance isn't going to help you win this game. It usually makes you an easy target.

Instead, it sounds like Bronte is going to urge her house mates to get involved in showmances, but avoid them herself.

(I'm guessing Bronte has no idea that Jeff played Big Brother.  Twice. With his showmance, who won the game the first time, largely due to the influence of Jeff.)


Bronte:  I'm gonna tell them that money can be spent, but love is forever, so they should go for it.

Jeff isn't sure now which side Bronte is on...is she in it for love or money?

Bronte:  Oh, I'm for money!  I'm not driven by fame, or by boys...I'm here for the money.

Bronte tells Jeff that she'll do whatever it takes to win the money...she'll stop at nothing.

Bronte:  That money is mine.  I need that money to get my doctorate degree.


Jeff is intrigued, because when he first met Bronte, she came off so sweet and innocent, but she's willing to go for it---he can see that now.

Jeff:  That's a great camouflage.  Are you going to use that?

Bronte:  I definitely am.  I'm not going to tell anybody that I'm a Math Girl and I'm about to get my second degree.  They don't need to know that!

She thinks that being sweet and nice, friends with everyone will be a great strategy for her in the house.  But at some point she is going to assert herself so that people don't think they can use her as a pawn in the house.

Bronte:  I'm a problem solver.  I've already thought through all of the problems that could happen and figured a way out.  I'm going to use behavioral science to get people to say yes to me.  Evidence shows that it works, but the problem would be the outliers.  In Math, when something doesn't fall in your statistic, we call it an outlier, so I need the very logical people out of the game...your Derricks, your Vanessas...they need to go, because they won't work with my strategy, so SEE YA.


Jeff then transitions into what I am calling his Stoopid Kwestion Segment.  He wants to know how many times Bronte needs to hear a song she likes before she starts to hate it.

She says depending on her mood, she likes a lot of different songs, and there are so many variables to consider.  She refuses to give Jeff an answer, which I actually approve of.


Then Bronte gives the answer we've all been waiting for --she doesn't GAF if America hates her.

Bronte:  I already have friends.  I already have family.  What I don't have is a half million bucks.  That's why I'm here.  I don't need people to be my friend after the show. I already have friends.

Jeff tells us that it will be a two-night premiere (I thought it was a one-night, two-hour premiere?) and we'll look for her to win it all in September.

Bronte:  Yes.  I want all of the "seven eighters" to see that you can win this game using math and science.


***FEEDWATCHER FORECAST ***

OK.  So I tried to figure out what "seven eighters" meant, and all I found was this, which I don't understand at all.  So far Bronte is making me feel like a big idiot.


But then I found this, which also makes me feel like an idiot, for entirely different reasons.  It's Bronte's profile on Model Mayhem.

Yes, Model Mayhem.


And Bronte has credits, too.  On Model Mayhem.


And pictures.  Bronte looks......different here, right?  In a very unexpected way.


Wow.  Is she running a game on us?  Or was the modeling just a hobby to help pay for school?  Because as I understand it, she is finishing up her masters degree in Mathematics, and wants to pursue a doctorate in the same sport.

And that's no joke.

Instead of feeling duped by Bronte, I choose to look at this as another interesting facet to Bronte's personality, something else she is bringing to the table.

Or maybe she's playing the role of the wacky, nerdy mathematician.  But if she was that good of an actress, maybe her list of credits would be more impressive.  I mean, maybe there would be just one item on there that we've heard of....because she's from Southern California, not Boise Idaho.

Clearly, I'm spinning here. Let me get back on track.

My first thought watching Bronte's interview was of Tiffany Rousso, who teaches high school math, and is expected to tell everybody about that in her introductions.   How is Bronte going to respond to that?  And how will her response change when she learns that Vanessa is Tiffany's sister?  Is she going to try and target Tiffany?  And how will Tiffany strike back against her?

(I'm thinking that Tiffany can wipe the floor with Bronte, but admittedly I'm biased because I don't know any of Bronte's siblings.)

Let's take a look at Bronte's CBS bio, to see if we can glean any interesting information there.

There are a few interesting tidbits here.  We know she's witty by her "Favorite Activities" response. But the whole "not being able to sleep" issue may become a HUGE problem.  Is Bronte going to stomp around the house like Helen Kim?  Is she going to wig out if other people make noise in the bedroom?

Well, let's hope so.  Ha ha.

It's hard for me to discuss all of these people without specifically mentioning the rumored BB returnees by name, since I have thoughts about that.  But I'm going to try not to.  Suffice to say I think she will hit it off with one of the girls.  And I think Bronte may be able to slide by easily in those first few weeks, because there will be so many other people who need to be targeted first.

But if the dreaded Battle of the Block returns, I predict Bronte will spend a lot of time sitting on it.  Just a guess.

Having said all of that, I think she is an extremely interesting person, and I look forward to seeing if she can back up her words with actions.  Math and statistics can help you in the game, but it's the social part that will get you the votes in the end.

I wish Jeff had asked about her name.  Are her sisters named Dickens and Alcott?  And maybe a question like "tell me about your last break up" would have been helpful, too.

Let me say this:  I am loving seeing house mates who show an interest in math and science.  Whatever it is that makes young people want to pursue these areas of study needs to be identified and quantified and recommended to all of the parents out there.  Strong, successful scholars are one thing we really need to make America great again.

And so far we have quite a few of them in the house this year.

1 comment :

  1. In those other photos she reminds me a bit of Lisa From BB3

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please do not include links to other websites, no matter what they are. All posts containing links will be deleted.

Also, if possible please don't be a jackass.

Thank you!