If religion helps people, than I think it is great for them. I just don't want to hear about it. And if there is a God, I hope "his will" is a lot more lofty than helping some reality contestant win a game show. I think people should be accountable for their own actions, and stand by them, without giving all the credit or blame to whatever god they happen to believe in. But I do NOT want to start arguments about religion here...I would rather just ignore it please and let everyone believe whatever they want to believe in peace.
As this week has ticked by, we certainly have learned a lot more about Caleb, haven't we? In addition to the ignorant racist comments that were made on some social media account, there is also growing chatter that Caleb may have glossed over some important details, such as the truth, about his leaving the military.
I can't solve The Caleb Problem, and I do try to be somewhat fair to the house guests, at least in the preseason, in an attempt provide accurate and timely Big Brother information that does not exclude any house guests.
So with that in mind, I will recap Caleb's preseason interviews, with the caveat that it feels like a necessary evil for me at this point. I might be mean to Caleb, or highly sarcastic. But I won't call him names because I think Twitter already has that covered, quite thoroughly.
1. Caleb tells Jeff that he is an "adventure guide" in Hopkinsville Kentucky. If this is true, than the "adventure" is probably rafting down a river, fishing or paddling a canoe, or something along those lines.
2. Caleb tells Jeff that he's had at least fifteen strategies planned for this season so far. He implied that he has just finished marathon-watching Seasons 8 through 15 and his new strategy is called the "Bobber, Hook and Sinker Effect" and he made it up last night.
Caleb: All three of them components you gotta have to catch a fish.
(I hear the public school system in Hopkinsville is really good.)
Caleb says the hook hurts the fish, and the fish is mad at the hook. Celeb is the Bobber in this situation.
(Of course. That makes total sense.)
3. Caleb thinks his biggest downfall will be that he is super-athletic. Jeff kind of snickered at that. Even Jeff thinks Caleb is reaching with that one.
4. Caleb is single coming into the house...he admits he's been "talking to a girl for a couple of weeks", but she was going off to college so he told her he wanted to be single in the BB house so he could pursue romantic opportunities if they present themselves. He told Jeff that no girl is going to come between him and the prize money.
(I'll bet Julie Chen will.....)
5. If Caleb wins the money, then he is going to "be a Good Samaritan" with it. His brother is "starting a big new church" and he's going to give him some money for that, and also pay off his mom's car.
6. Jeff didn't ask Caleb the question about wanting to be either a loser loved by America, or a winner everyone hates, or if he did it didn't make the final edit.
OK. Now on to Rachel Reilly and Ryan Carillo.
7. Rachel starts the interview gushing over Caleb's abs and mentions that he was a prison guard in Iraq. Caleb wants to tell the story from the beginning---he graduated from high school and joined the army in hopes of deploying overseas. His unit didn't get deployed, so he "jumped ship" to another unit in Texas by moving there just for that sole purpose.
8. Caleb said he was "supposed to be doing some cool combat ops" but instead he had to work in a prison. He didn't like it and was taunted by "those people" who made jokes about "killing his friends". Caleb was in Iraq for 11 months but his total service time was about 18 months. He said he "got out" and that is all he had to say about that.
(If someone hasn't dug up Caleb's military paperwork yet, I'm sure it will happen soon. Plenty of people have thought this story doesn't sound kosher...)
He said this all happened in 2010 and he went home to his family. When Caleb was 11 his father left the family and moved to Dallas. Caleb has four brothers so when his parents split up they split the brothers up and he had to move to Texas with one of his brothers. Later both he and his brother moved back to Kentucky to be with the rest of the Reynolds family.
9. Caleb is the youngest and it sounds like the other brothers are all married now. He's not ready to get married but for the 90 days that he plans to be in the Big Brother house he would like to have someone to cuddle with and talk to in there.
10. Ryan asked Caleb if he was a Big Brother fan before casting. (The following paragraph is transcribed word-for-word.)
Caleb: I watched Big Brother before...it was never one of them shows...if I seen it on I would watch it, but I didn't have it DVR'ed or nothin. A friend of mine tried us out for Amazin' Race, but they just didn't like her personality. She was kind of dry, but they said hey, we love you and I said what's the next step? So I applied, and here I am, seven months later.
11. Ryan tells him he will be on TV three nights each week, so he will get more exposure on Big Brother that he would have on TAR. Caleb thinks Hayden was good-looking, and was "automatically a player", but he didn't go in guns blazing.
Caleb: Like me, I could win every HoH if I wanted to.
12. He also liked Mike Boogie and Jeff, as well as Rachel and Britany, but Hayden is his favorite. Caleb thinks Hayden is going to want to be friends with him when he sees him on TV. Caleb also says that McCrae won the first couple of events in BB16, but he was a weak kid and didn't play the game---he let Amanda play the game instead.
Caleb: Without Amanda, he would never get as far as he did, but he thinks without Amanda he could have won it.
13. Caleb points out that Howard was huge and looked like he could lift the roof off the house, but he never won anything.
14. Now he talks about his Christianity and his "walk with god". Caleb's dad was a pastor, too.
15. His favorite movie is The Notebook and he says his first relationship is just like that movie. His girlfriend's mother didn't like him and wanted her to date a guy who had more money. This girl actually married a guy with money while Caleb was "off at war". Caleb's mom says he is a hopeless romantic.
I think people can try to supress who they are for 90 days, but in the atmosphere of the Big Brother house it is going to be hard to hide who you really are, particularly since the Live Feeders will be patiently waiting and watching for Caleb to make a mistake.
If he doesn't say or do anything objectionable, then this whole early season scandal may blow over. He'll have to deal with it, of course, once he's out of the house, but the vast majority of Big Brother fans just watch the TV show and will have no idea of any scandal unless it is addressed in Prime Time.
I think Caleb will screw up, though. He won't be able to help himself. And we'll be watching.
It is now late August, and Caleb Reynolds is still in the Big Brother house as I write this. I just have to say that people stopped talking about the Instagram scandal MONTHS ago as far as Caleb is concerned. Caleb Reynolds has certainly turned out to be an interesting person, but not the person we all expected him to be, which was basically a racist homophobe. Caleb has been close friends with a black guy, and also with a gay guy. Caleb even wore mascara on a live show, and has worn Amber's bunny slippers ever since she was evicted.
It is clear that whatever impression we had of Caleb before the season began is not who Caleb is, or who he is now.
I just want to point that out.....things are not always what they seem and that's a good lesson for all of us.