Sunday, July 13, 2014

Maybe We Should Call it the "Lack of Fitness" Tracker #BB16 #FitBit

First of all, CBS should have signed up FitBit as a sponsor, so they can use the brand name instead of the generic "Fitness Tracker".  Shame on the promotions department for not putting a deal together.

Production is changing the way the FitBit works, though.  The default goal for every FitBit is 10,000 steps per day, so each of the five status lights represents another 2,000 steps taken each day.  I was watching the live feeds when they had been wearing them for about two days and Zach's FitBit did the little celebration light show when you meet your daily goal.

So I looked online, and the house guest with the highest total steps at the point was Zach, and he only had about 3,000 steps.

In the real world, I can get about 7,000 - 8,000 steps per day just from daily activities and taking my dog on three short potty breaks outside.  If I go for a run, I can easily get 12,000 - 14,0000 steps per day (which doesn't seem to be happening, now that Big Brother is on, but it is also 90 degrees outside...).

Here are the results for the Top Four through July 10th, as posted on the CBS website.


The "Active Minutes" stats are just deplorable. There is a little hill leading out of my subdivision, and my FitBit counts walking up the hill in the morning with my dog as "Active Minutes", so you don't need to work very hard to make those minutes happen.

But having said that, when I do a Jillian Michael's DVD workout, only about 2 or 3 minutes of the 20 minute workout is counted as "Active Minutes".  If you've ever suffered through the "30-Day Shred" or "Get Ripped in 30 Days" you would know just how unfair THAT is.

But the house guests don't understand what all of the lights mean, and why they are wearing them.  Obviously they will play into the game somehow, so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

FYI #1:  BB asks them to return their Fitness Trackers to the storage room every now and then.  I assume they are just recharging the battery, or syncing the results for reporting purposes.  The actual tracker is inside the rubber bracelet, and you have to take it out and attach it to your computer to recharge every 3 or 4 days.

FYI #2:  You are supposed to wear the FitBit on your non-dominant hand for best results.  I am left-handed, so I wear it on my right arm.  Zach wears his on his right arm, too, so I guess he's a lefty as well.

FYI #3:  You can program your FitBit to wake you up with "gentle buzzing vibrations".  When you're asleep, it's not so gentle, but this might be a fun way for BB to mess with the house guests in the future.  Although I can see them chucking the bracelets against the wall in anger, and FitBit certainly doesn't want to see that on TV.  So maybe it's good they aren't a sponser.

FYI #4:  They are wearing the FitBit Flex bracelets, which sell for around $99.  There are several different options for the rubber bracelet colors, and Tori Birch is going to release a "fashion" line of bracelets before this Christmas, I think.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please do not include links to other websites, no matter what they are. All posts containing links will be deleted.

Also, if possible please don't be a jackass.

Thank you!